S’mores are my secret shame.
I fancy myself a foodie, but I just can’t resist the gooey, sticky campfire treat.
So I’ve been searching for recipes that re-purpose the flavors, to “elevate” the whimsical s’more.
This most recent version starts with a sweet, chewy blondie packed with graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips. It’s topped with toasted marshmallow ice cream and drizzled with hot fudge.
Really, I don’t know why I’m embarrassed by my love of s’mores.
I need to get over it. It’s a dessert, not a sticker collection.
Continue reading for the S’mores a la Mode recipe
|Graham Cracker Blondies with Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream|
- Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup toasted marshmallow syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Graham Cracker Blondies
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs (six graham crackers)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Hot fudge sauce
- Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low until it just comes to a boil.
- Set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour in the cream.
- In yet another bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Gradually pour some of the warm milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Strain the custard into the heavy cream. Stir over the ice until cool, add the toasted marshmallow syrup and vanilla extract, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.
- Beat melted butter and brown sugar together until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Slowly beat in the flour and salt until blended, then stir in the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set in the center but still soft. Do not overbake.
- Serve the blondies with a scoop of marshmallow ice cream. Drizzle with hot fudge.