Are you looking for a decadent, heavy meal full of cream and butter to treat yourself on pay day?
Well, move along, Friend.
This soup is creamy without a drop of cream, and buttery, with nary a pat of butter. Pair it with a hunk of crusty bread, and you’ve got a flavorful, hearty, healthy, and super cheap lunch.
The single potato makes it lush and creamy, and the red pepper flakes give it just enough heat. Don’t even think about skipping the lemon juice.
Continue reading for the Broccoli Soup recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and sauté onion and celery until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking about 5 minutes more.
- Mix in broccoli, potato, chicken broth, thyme, red pepper flakes, and white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- With a hand blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Pass through a strainer if desired. Salt to taste.