I’m kicking off National Grilled Cheese Month (yes, this is a real thing in the world) with a lesson in balance. My first grilled cheese has it all: crispy, golden-butter bread; gooey, salty jack cheese with spicy pops of jalapeno; savory, herbaceous turkey tenderloin; and a sweet glaze of strawberry jam.
- Begin with 2 slices of bread that are roughly the same size and shape.
- For even toasting, butter the bread (on the OUTSIDE of the sandwich), not the griddle.
- Top the bread with cheese. For optimum meltage, nothing should come between the cheese and the bread.
- Keep sauces and condiments in the center of the sandwich to avoid sogging the bread.
- Grill sandwiches with hard cheeses over low heat to avoid burning the bread before the cheese melts. Dome if necessary.
- Grill sandwiches with soft cheeses over high heat to toast the bread quickly before the cheese liquefies.
These are only guidelines. Grilled cheese means never having to say you’re sorry.
|Sweet and Spicy Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich|
- White bread
- Pepper jack cheese
- Turkey (I used 4 slices herb roasted turkey tenderloin)
- Strawberry jam
- Top each slice of bread with cheese.
- Add the turkey and spread on a thin layer of jam,
- Close it up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.