Grilled Cheese IV: The Phantom Menace
In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
I’ve never been a fan of buffalo chicken wings. Don’t get me wrong — I love the tart tomato kiss of buffalo sauce — but chicken wings just seem like an awful lot of mess with very little payoff.
National Grilled Cheese Month provided a perfect excuse to transform the spicy, pungent flavors of a sticky wing night into a tidy grilled cheese sandwich. I made this one for Handsome Greg and I on date night, and it was a hit. The cheese was creamy, the sauce was bold, and the combination was unmistakably hot wings.
|Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich|
- Generous 1/2 cup shredded roast chicken (I used a thigh and a drumstick)
- 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 4 slices white bread
- Combine shredded chicken and buffalo sauce.
- In a separate bowl, mix blue cheese dressing, cream cheese, blue cheese crumbles, and cheddar cheese.
- Spread cheese mixture on each slice of bread.
- Top with buffalo chicken and green onions.
- Close them up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on high heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.