In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
Welcome to Day 5 of my cheesy, grilled adventure! I started with the classic dish, Chicken Cordon Bleu, and turned it into a flavor-packed grilled cheese sandwich.
I don’t really care much for the traditional Swiss cheese, so I replaced it with Muenster, and it melted like silk sheets under the blanket of chicken and ham. (And now I kind of want a chicken and ham blanket for my bed, like Lady Gaga’s meat dress, except linens.) The roasted garlic mayo gave it a luxurious richness (because it clearly wasn’t rich enough with just ham, cheese, chicken, and butter), and the scallions popped with a stinging, grassy freshness. The flavors were almost as delightful as the textures — crunch, crunch through the bread then tear through the ham. Pull away and a string of mild, milky cheese slaps your chin.
|Chicken Cordon Blue Grilled Cheese Sandwich|
- 2 slices white bread
- Half a roasted chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- Roasted Garlic Mayo (recipe below)
- Roasted Garlic Mayo
- 1 clove roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Smoosh together the roasted garlic, mayo, lemon juice, and salt.
- Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese.
- Spread one cheese slice with roasted garlic mayo.
- Top with ham, chicken, and green onions.
- Close up the sandwich, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.