In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
Congratulate me, Friends: I created a grilled cheese and serendipity sandwich.
One very special day, I’d had bacon for breakfast, which left me with a couple tablespoons of liquid gold, i.e. rendered bacon fat. I decided to re-purpose that fat to roast a couple cloves of garlic. After roasting the garlic, I was left with garlic-infused bacon fat, so, really, what choice did I have but to re-re-purpose it to grill my sandwich.
And oh, what a remarkable, ridiculous sandwich it was. It tasted like a bright, fresh caprese salad got loaded on tequila and cheese fries, and woke up in a strange apartment, unsure of just who was posting true confessions on her Facebook wall all night long. It was delicious, and a little embarrassing.
|Bacon-Roasted Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich|
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon grease
- 2 slices challah bread
- Italian 4-cheese blend
- Sun-dried tomatoes, cut in short strips
- Basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove two cloves from a head of garlic, but do not peel off the papery skin. Place the cloves on a small square of foil and drizzle on about a tablespoon of bacon fat. Wrap the cloves tightly in foil, and roast for 25 minutes, until the garlic is squishy.
- Reserve the garlic-infused bacon fat.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the peel and spread onto one slice of the challah.
- Top the garlic with shredded cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil.
- Close up the sandwich, and brush the outsides of the bread with the reserved garlicky bacon fat.
- Griddle on medium-high heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.