In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
Oh my god I’m full. My hair is full. My eyelashes are full.
It’s probably best to share this one with a friend – one whom you love VERY, VERY MUCH – because it’s quite rich. Don’t get me wrong, it’s magically delicious, but it’s really heavy.
Expect an explosion of flavors – spicy, sweet, salty, tangy, with a tiny bit of char on the tips of the bacon.
I originally planned to use cheddar rather than provolone, and it was a good thing I didn’t. There’s SO much flavor in the other ingredients. An assertive cheese might’ve been too much.
The brown sugar and Dijon melts a bit into the cheese, creating a delightfully sticky, messy sauce.
I’m only sharing this sandwich with you because I love you.
For general grilled cheese tips, visit the inaugural grilled cheese sandwich post.
|Candied Dijon Bacon Grilled Cheese with Pickled Jalapenos|
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 slices potato bread
- 2 slices pickled jalapeno, chopped
- 2 slices provolone
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and top with a wire cooling rack.
- Combine the mustard and brown sugar, and mix well. Lay the bacon on the rack and paint on the mustard mixture with a pastry brush.
- Roast the bacon for 18 minutes. Allow the bacon to cool and drain for a few minutes on the rack.
- Top each slice of bread with provolone.
- Add the chopped jalapeno and bacon, close it up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.