I’m a sucker for miniature food.
Bite-sized morsels taste better, somehow, and these mini-scones are no exception.
The recipe is remarkably similar to my cranberry orange scone recipe, but these are improved by, well, tininess.
If captioned cat photos on the internet were edible, they’d taste like blueberry lemon mini scones.
They’re just so cute. I want to hug them with my teeth.
Continue reading for the Blueberry Lemon Mini Scones recipe
|Blueberry Lemon Mini Scones|
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into bits
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the food processor pulse flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, and zest until the mixture resembles coarse meal, and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Toss the chopped blueberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar and stir into the flour mixture.
- Lightly beat the egg and the yolk and stir in the cream. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- On a well-floured surface with floured hands pat the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick round (about 10 inches in diameter) and with a 1-inch round cutter or rim of a shot glass dipped in flour cut out as many rounds as possible, re-rolling scraps as necessary. The dough will be quite wet. Arrange rounds about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake in the middle of the oven for 7 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Or you can freeze the pre-baked scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. As soon as the scones are frozen solid, seal them in a zip-top freezer bag. When you’re ready to bake them, remove them from the freezer and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400°, and thaw the scones just as long as it takes the oven to preheat. Bake for 10 minutes, or until pale golden.