This is the perfect side dish for summer picnics and barbec—what? It’s past Labor Day? And I missed Barbecue Season™?
I’m a day late, but I just can’t keep this recipe to myself until Memorial Day 2013, when picnics are once again permissible. Also? I’m wearing white pants. Yeah, I’m a rebel.
When I first served this recipe at a work potluck, my adorable friend Karl told me that my baked beans were the best baked beans he’d had. I was more than a little concerned that of all my recipes, the one that earned the greatest compliment was made of store-bought, canned baked beans and all the condiments in the door of my refrigerator. Fortunately I got over it.
|Dressed Up Baked Beans|
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (21 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry up the bacon with the onion in a sauté pan over medium high heat until the bacon is cooked through and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the beans, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low heat until sauce is thickened. Stir in bacon and onion.