It’s official! My dear imaginary friends, this summer I’ll be singing again. My little theater group won a spot in the 2013 Minnesota Fringe Festival, and we will present a brand, new show this August. Details will be forthcoming; keep your eye out for Blue Umbrella Productions’ premiere of Are You There, God? It’s a New Musical Revue!
To kick off our first production meeting of the season, I prepared for my collaborators, Tall Paul and Hurricane Windy, a wreath of fresh vegetables and crackers surrounding a bowl of creamy, flavor-packed sun-dried tomato dip. The silky, tangy spread was equally charming atop celery sticks, pita chips, and the next day’s turkey bagel sandwich for lunch.
Sun-Dried Tomato Dip
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 8 ounces Neufchatel (light cream cheese), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place the tomatoes in a small bowl and cover completely with boiling water. Let them sit for 10 minutes until they’re soft and pliable. Drain.
- Puree the tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar in the food processor until pasty. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and scallions and pulse until combined and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature with crackers and fresh veggies.