Goodbye ice cream trucks and picnics and ripe tomatoes.
Goodbye road trips and outdoor concerts. Goodbye action blockbusters in air conditioned theaters. Goodbye lemonade.
Goodbye s’mores and dandelions and thunderstorms and fireworks. Goodbye reruns and strappy sandals. Goodbye sunburns. Goodbye baseball and crickets chirping.
Goodbye fresh cherries.
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-size pieces
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, apples, lemon juice, vanilla, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 4 tablespoons flour. Pour into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, oats, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Sprinkle over cherry filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.