Whew! Thirty posts in thirty days – I made it through National Grilled Cheese Month. And though I made some delicious discoveries (Cinnamon Roll Grilled Cheese, anyone?), I’m a little cheesed out. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m ready for bright, fresh spring flavors. And some roughage.
I originally made this dish for Mom and Handsome Greg as part of an Argentinian-inspired meal that began with corn and bacon empanadas and ended with baked churros, cinnamon ice cream, and homemade dulce de leche (recipes coming soon, I promise!).
For our main course, we enjoyed crispy romaine leaves filled with luscious summer salad and tender grilled chicken, and kissed with garlicky parsley pesto. Fresh and bright, hearty but not heavy.
Continue reading for the Grilled Lime Chicken Lettuce Boats recipe
Grilled Cheese 2: Electric Boogaloo
In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
Take two on grilled cheese was messy, but yummy. There were lots of great flavors — some of my favorites! — but I’m sad to say, there was something missing. It could’ve used something bright and fresh, like cilantro, celery leaves, or lime juice, to balance the smokey heat and rich, cheesy, salty, bacon goo. A little acid and/or herbs, and this would’ve been another winner.
|Turkey Club Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Chipotle Mayo
Recipe Type: Sandwich
Prep time: 8 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 23 mins
A sandwich and a salad in one! (No, I’m not kidding. OK, maybe a little.)
- Whole wheat bread
- Turkey (I used herb roasted turkey tenderloin)
- Pepper jack cheese
- Chipotle Mayo (recipe below)
- Chipotle Mayo
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Pinch of ground oregano
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce, or to taste
- Combine mayo, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder, and chipotle sauce. Mix well.
- Top each slice of bread with cheese.
- Add the turkey, bacon, avocado, and spread on a thin layer of chipotle mayo.
- Close it up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.